February 18, 2010

Recipe: Moroccan Carrot Salad

I have my friend Anna to thank for introducing me to the only dish that has made me like the taste of carrots (versus hide it in a butter-laden casserole or cake). This salad enhances the that ever-so distinct orange carrot taste by marinating thin shreds in lemon juice, honey, and a Moroccan spice combo (cumin, paprika, and cayenne/red pepper). Golden raisins and toasted pine nuts add more crunchy texture and a sweet and nutty, respectively, twist. If you think you don't like carrots, I challenge you try this.

I pulled the dressing recipe from Sandra Lee, who made it semi-homemade by using packaged shredded carrots. She is a smart lady, because shredding my own carrots took, like, way too long. My carrot, raisin, and pine nuts measurements are guesstimates.

Moroccan Carrot Salad

4 cups shredded carrots

3/4 cup golden raisins

3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted

1 lemon, juiced

1/2 cup, chopped cilantro leaves

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 pinch cayenne (I used red pepper.)

1 teaspoon honey

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, pine nuts, and raisins. Set aside.

For the Dressing: In a small mixing bowl, combine lemon juice, cilantro, spices, and honey. Slowly whisk in extra-virgin olive oil.

Pour dressing over carrot salad and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours to allow flavors to meld.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please share your thoughts!