July 30, 2009
July 27, 2009
July 20, 2009
July 17, 2009
1 cup + 2 tablespoons finely ground graham cracker crumbs
(I used low-fat ones. Probably a pointless idea with the other decadent ingredients.)
1/3 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted
3 large egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
2/3 cup fresh Key lime juice , about 23 Key limes total
(25 key limes gave me just over 1/3 cup, but it worked fine.)
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a small bowl. Press evenly onto bottom of an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until dry and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
(Warning: there's lots of mixing required.) To make filling, put egg yolks and lime zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix on high speed until very thick, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add condensed milk in a slow, steady stream, mixing constantly. Raise speed to high; mix until thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add lime juice; mix until just combined.
Spread filling evenly over crust using a spatula. Bake, rotating dish halfway through, until filling is just set, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 4 hours (or overnight).
July 15, 2009
July 12, 2009
July 10, 2009
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup butter, melted and divided
8 oz. cream cheese
16 oz. powdered sugar
1 ½ cups chopped pecans
Mix cake mix, 1 egg, and ½ cup butter and press in bottom of greased 9x13 pan. Set aside. Combine 2 eggs, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and remaining ½ cup butter; beat at medium speed with a mixer until smooth. Stir in pecans and pour over cake mix layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until set, covering loosely with foil after 45 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
July 8, 2009
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Place garlic in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add lemon juice, tahini, cumin, salt, pepper, and black beans; process until smooth. Spoon bean mixture into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
July 6, 2009
Crispy Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip and M&M Cookies
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups oats
1 cup m&ms
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preaheat oven to 350 degrees, and line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, salt and baking powder together in a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, by hand or by mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars and beat the mixture until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.
4. Stir dry ingredients into butter-sugar mixture with a wooden spoon or a large rubber spatula. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
5. Place dough cookie sheets by large spoonfuls (about 2 tablespoons each), leaving at least 2 inches between.
6. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Slide cookies onto cooling rack. Let cool, and store in airtight container.
(Madoline's lazy version: Skip step 2. Stir in flour, salt and baking powder in step 3 without mixing together beforehand.)