October 15, 2010

Three Things: Applesauce

I bought a large jar of plain applesauce recently and have been playing with how to best put the inexpensive, natural apple goodness to work.
1. Spice it up.
Mix it with cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or other warm spices and eat it as a snack or with a meal. It keeps much better than fresh fruit and hence is always around for fruit cravings, which for me usually come on after a max of 8 hours without natural sugary treats. Eating this particular serving of spiced applesauce with leftover homemade mac and cheese brought on serious childhood nostalgia.


2. Use it as a insta-sauce.
The sweet fruit spread complimented the savory flavor of potato pancakes I ate as a light supper. It's also good on pork and lamb.

3. Bake with it.
It adds fruity flavor and natural sweetness and can take the place of oil. I baked it in these Apple Bran Muffins (which I like only okay, but not because of the applesauce) and always put them in the ever-delicious Morning Glory Muffins. I tend to only use it as a partial oil replacement in quick breads and muffins; if I am going to make a decadent brownie or cake, it's typically going to be 100% decadent.

2 comments:

  1. I have been making (what are now known as) my famous oatmeal raisin cookies lately. Instead of putting TWO sticks of butter in (as most recipes call for) I use 3/4 cups of unsweetened applesauce and no butter at all! It makes them really soft and cakey and so DELISH (and almost guilt-free!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, Lisa! I'll have to try that, except with something instead of raisins since I'm not such a fan.

    ReplyDelete

Pretty please share your thoughts!