June 22, 2012

Super Simple Fruit Cobbler

Picking blackberries involves nasty gross summer heat and prickly bushes. It was not my favorite way to spend summer Saturdays at the lake as a kid. But my mom loves to dress head-to-toe and slave away amongst thorns for tart berries. That's where you'll find her these days while I am a lazy bum at the house or dock. She'd rather pick her blackberries, and I'd rather buy them, even frozen; but for the record, she'd rather buy her bakery cake and I'd rather bake one myself.

What mother and daughter do have in common is that we both make this shortbread-crumble-top cobbler and have been since I was first forced to pick blackberries.

It's super simple:
Sprinkle berries with cinnamon in a pie crust. Use a pastry cutter (or two knives) to cut together flour, butter and sugar.
Sprinkle shortbread topping over berries. I like to sneak some of this mixture to snack on, mmm, buttery, sugary yum.
 Bake it. And boom, you have a crumbly crust-topped gooey warm berries to delight.

And some vanilla ice cream, and it's golden (really cheesy pun intended).


Crumble Cobbler

Berries, enough to fill a pie dish
Cinnamon, to taste
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened

Place berries in a pie pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Cut butter into sugar and flour with a pastry cutter or two knives, blending until crumbly.  Sprinkle this mixture on top of the berries.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes or until golden. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. Yummo! I plan to make this from the blackberries we have growing in our back yard!!
    Susie Reaves

    ReplyDelete

Pretty please share your thoughts!