September 26, 2009

Open Letter: Monkey Bread Baking Mold (and Recipe)

Dear Tumbleweed Pottery,

I commend you for creating a need for a better pan than the Bundt for the wonder pastry that is cinnamon-sugary, buttery monkey bread. You convinced my mother that her daughter who was dorky enough to ask for a popsicle-shaped cake pan as a high schooler would be excited to make her monkey bread in a specialty dish. In fact, I was excited about the inverted flower pot shape it would take as a I placed my cinnamon and sugar-coated biscuit quarters inside.

However, what you failed to realize is that the pot is too TALL and NARROW for the dough to cook in the middle before the tops and bottoms are crisp. My monkey bread was 1/3 fail and did not look pretty for its breakfast tailgate debut. Now, I like things a little doughy, but a significant portion of the dough was not not acceptable for eating even with the ridiculous amount of butter and sugar and cinnamon that coated it. And I've made this recipe numerous times without a glitch.

Luckily, I was able to pick out the cooked parts (on the plate on the right; uncooked mush is on the left in the photo below) to have something to contribute to the tailgate, and the pieces that were done did taste like their wonderful selves should. Thanks for saving me from allowing myself overeat leftovers of butter and sugar to the point of feeling sick (been there, done that on a high school band trip), but your monkey bread pan will no longer have a place in my limited kitchen space.

I will, however, share my monkey bread recipe for my friends to make in their BUNDT pans.

Sincerely,
An unsatisfied owner of your fancy-shmancy baking mold

Monkey Bread

4 cans buttermilk canned refrigerated biscuits
1 3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 c.) butter
1 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon

Quarter biscuits and dip them in a mixture of  3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Put biscuits in well greased angel food cake or Bundt pan. Bring remaining 1 cup sugar and butter to a boil, and pour over biscuit pieces. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from pan immediately, serve when cool.

3 comments:

  1. I always go with cheesy sausage balls for morning tailgates. Always a crowd pleaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart. I had forgotten about sausage balls. They're tasty and not messy, and if I recall correctly, have like 3 ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep. just cheese, bisquick, and sausage.

    ReplyDelete

Pretty please share your thoughts!