September 19, 2009

Three Things: Tortilla Pizzas

The best simple restaurant-food-wannabe dinner option for a solitary eater. Throw on toppings based on what you have in your fridge and freezer.

The basic idea: Spray a tortilla with olive oil. Place on a cookie sheet (or pizza pan) in oven preheated to 425 degrees. Let cook until tortilla begins to brown, about 7 minutes (but do not let it burn-- been there, done that, started over). Add sauce, cheese and toppings. Return to oven and bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.

1. Pesto
Inspiration: Schlotzsky's Mediterranean pizza
What: pesto sauce topped with Parmesan and feta cheese and chopped tomatoes
I eat it: when I have pesto and feta on hand


2. Barbecue Chicken
Inspiration: Memphis Pizza Cafe
What: barbecue sauce (I like Bullseye because it's the only one of the 20 or 30 labels I looked at that didn't have preservatives) topped with shredded (sharp) cheddar cheese, chopped chicken (I keep a stock of this in my freeze) and chopped red onion
I eat it: almost every week in the winter


3. Sausage and Bell Pepper
Inspiration: any ole pizza joint
What: marinara sauce topped with shredded mozzerella, cooked crumbled sausage, chopped orange bell pepper
I eat it: the least frequently (Usually I prefer to grab a slice of Shakespeare's to fulfill "normal" pizza cravings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please share your thoughts!