April 15, 2011

Bold and Hearty Chex Mix

Hello, new snack time treat worthy of making four batches in the past couple of months. Chex mix can be a choose-your-own-adventure kind of recipe. I used real butter, which is essential to the addictive flavor in my opinion, instead of trying a less sinful variation with egg whites.

In the original Chex mix, I pick out the white and corn Chex, but since using wheat in my own to make it more fibericiously filling, I've come to like its thicker, heartier texture better. I also add in peanuts for satsfying protein as well as pretzels and Cheez-Its for salty flavor. No super hard bagel chips for me, thank you very much. I finish off the coating with a kick of Creole seasonings and chili powder.
I personally think my combination is the best, but that's only because it fits my preference for a flavorful and filling snack with a bit of nuts and cheese. What is your ultimate snack mix combo?

Bold and Hearty Chex Mix

6 cups wheat Chex
3 cups Cheez-It Crackers
2 cups pretzels
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts
5 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. Creole seasoning

Place Chex, crackers, pretzels, and peanuts in a large bowl and toss. Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix the Worcestershire sauce and seasonings into the melted butter. Pour butter mixture over Chex mixture. Toss to coat the crackers.

Spread the mixture on a large baking sheet. Bake at 250 degrees for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please share your thoughts!