May 19, 2010

Food Thoughts: Taste: A Benefit of Aging

"The only thing that really improves with age is your appreciation of food."
I clipped this quote from an from an African elder via an article on Catalonia A.F. Robertson wrote for Gastronomica  [ultimate food/culture/academia nerd journal] and contemplated it on the eve of my birthday this week. Half my life ago, I didn't like most vegetables, and my favorite meal involved boiled chicken and cream of chicken soup—how my appreciation of food has evolved!

Life might bring storms and wear down on the body as you age, but there will always be endless possibilities of food adventure. Although I would argue that wisdom and other things also improve with aging, the prospect of coupling food with all the seasons of life that lie ahead make our culture's detestation of aging seem quite silly.

How has your appreciation of food improved with aging?

1 comment:

  1. I think the most important thing I have learned to appreciate is sushi... it's really sad that I missed out on it for so many years because I thought eating raw fish was gross. Come to think of it, I really didn't like any fish as a kid, so glad I do now!

    And also, my tolerance for spicy food has definitely improved, I used to be such a wimp!

    ReplyDelete

Pretty please share your thoughts!