May 1, 2010

Recipe: Bourbon Balls

Just when I thought butter+sugar+chocolate couldn't get more sinful, I discovered Bourbon Balls, which add a little whiskey to the mix. The bourbon buttercream-and-pecan-filled chocolate ball is way rich, like a truffle. You definitely taste the bourbon, but there was enough sugar involved that I truly enjoyed for the taste of whiskey for the first time...ever.

I might not be watching the Derby today (shameful me, for some reason crawfish+concerts+rain won out), but this taste of Kentucky was quite satisfactory. After promoting Derby recipes all week like it was my job (because it is my job), I couldn't help but make something from Southern Living's collection.

(Pre-chocolate dunking balls are on the left.)



Bourbon Balls
1  (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
1/3  cup  bourbon
1/4  cup  butter, softened
50  pecan halves (about 1 1/4 cups)
2  cups  (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels
1  tablespoon  shortening
Stir together first 3 ingredients until blended. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Gently press pecan halves into 2 sides of each ball. Chill 8 hours.
Melt chocolate and shortening in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Dip bourbon balls in chocolate, and place on wax paper.
Chill 1 hour or until hardened.
Yield: 25-30 balls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please share your thoughts!