March 26, 2014

Lemony Farro Salad

Now that we are exiting soup season, my make-a-dish-I-can-eat-off-of-all-week strategy has shifted to grainy salads. This week's adventure was my first with farro, which is kind of like a thick brown rice. I like how nutty and filling it is, so much so that I wasn't even looking for meat.


It meets the standards my mom taught me from her college home ec classes (those weren't in our catalog)- variety of texture, color and temperature (only if your farro's still kind of warm and your cheese is cold, but still).

However, keep your eaters in mind. This is for the grain-adventurous. My coworkers enjoy talking about how farro salad at a new restaurant near us is "bird seed."


Lemony Farro Salad

14 oz. farro, cooked and drained
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2/3 cup shredded carrot (I buy the pre-cut kind from the produce department)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
Greek seasoning, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Feta cheese, crumbled, optional
Arugula, optional

Toss together all ingredient. Serve at room temperature or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pretty please share your thoughts!