August 7, 2009

Three Things: Plain Yogurt

My favorite uses for one of my favorite kitchen staples that just so happens to be packed with good-for-you bacteria called probiotics...
1. Honey yogurt. Plain yogurt by itself does not taste good. But mixed with honey and topped with berries makes it far superior to any fruit combination premixed in a container.

2. Salads. Potato salad, coleslaw, chicken salad and other creamy dressings don't need a butt load of mayo. I like to use about half mayo and half yogurt. 

3. Smoothies. No need for super sweet frozen yogurt or ice cream. Just add lots of fruit, a tad bit of honey and plain yogurt. My favorite combination is ripe banana, frozen strawberries, blueberries, orange juice, ice cubes, yogurt and honey.

2 comments:

  1. I make smoothies with frozen fruit, a container of fruit yogurt and a cup of orange juice. Since the fruit is frozen, no need for ice cubes. :)

    --Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I forgot to mention: for potato salad I skip the mayo entirely and use Greek yogurt instead. It's thick enough to hold up. Just chop in some bacon and chives and you're pretty much good to go.

    --Marian again

    ReplyDelete

Pretty please share your thoughts!